Writer's Block

The two words authors dread most - Writer's Block. Makes you think of big bulky cement dividers, standing in your way as you try to get to Starbucks for a much needed Grande Latte (no fat, no foam). Ugh.

I suffer from writer's block. There I said it. The big elephant in the room has been acknowledged. I can think of all sorts of wonderful plot lines, snappy dialogue, but the minute I park my tuckus in front of the computer... poof - gone. I know it will pass, but as I suffer through this I wonder what other authors do to reconnect their thoughts into actual words on the page?

My husband's timely advice is to get out and exercise. I look at him as if he's grown two heads. This is his cure for everything. He's on a health kick right now, and *shudder* is running about 5 miles a day. I sweetly ask, 'Why? Do you think I need to exercise?'  heh, heh. Double whammy for the poor man. How does one answer that question without insulting the askee? Ah, but I digress. We were talking about writer's block.

My muse has gone on an extended vacation. This is why I'm sitting here in my office at 0400 hrs on a Sunday morning. Not because I've gotten up early to write while my mind is fresh, but because I haven't gone to bed yet.

And that brings me back to the original question. What does one do when faced with writer's block? If you have any suggestions, pass them on. I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment